Skip to main content

Characteristics of a Cedar Tree

Growing up, we always had an artificial tree. While they’re beautiful, and I have fond memories of dragging it out of the attic every year and fluffing it’s pointy branches, I have come to appreciate and adore our new tradition as a family. Together, we choose a tree, chop it down, and plant it in our living room to admire through the Christmas holiday.

Few may choose the prickly cedar tree. However, it has become the one we gravitate towards. Probably because they’re unwanted nuisances in the yard. Mostly because they’re aromatic, easy to spruce up, and quick to adorn with our favorite ornaments.

The cedar tree symbolizes strength, eternity, and endurance. Poets from around the world have written about this simple conifer for centuries. In the late 19th century, author John Worcester compared the structure of the cedar tree to the process of attaining successively higher natural and spiritual knowledge, writing, “The spiritual tree also must extend its branches, put forth leaves, and mature its fruits on successively interior planes of the mind.”  He also elaborated on the scent of the cedar wood, indicating the pleasure people find from discovering knowledge and truth.

Our family loves a Christmas tree. Not because of Pagan traditions. But because of what we want it to represent. To us, the lights on our tree represent the light of God’s spirit. The warmth from those lights can also be visualized as the warmth and love that we have for each other. The chopping down of the tree can be represented as Christ dying on the cross. When we place it in our home, we see it as Christ being resurrected again and taking abode in our hearts. While we don’t have room for a star this year, we love to top it with just that, a symbol of the star of Bethlehem, leading all those who believed that their Messiah was born to save the world.

Our cedar tree isn’t exceptionally beautiful. It’s lacking several branches on one side. The branches are spindly and have a hard time holding our heavier ornaments. But it’s something that represents us well. We aren’t perfect creatures. Neither is this tree. But God made us and it just so and for that we are thankful.

We hope that you and yours have a beautiful Christmas season. Remember the reason. And hold those that mean the dearest to you oh so close. Cherish the moments, big and small.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Your Beans?

This year, Andrew and I took on a huge endeavor of tripling our garden compared to last summer.  We've had an abundance of cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers.  However, our beans were lacking sufficiently to the point that I was about to purchase fresh green beans elsewhere.  I mean, I only had four jars left in my cupboards from last year's harvest.  I needed my beans!  I would look at posts on Facebook of friend's abundant bean harvest, and I'll be honest, I felt completely defeated.  We purposely planted two huge rows to ensure that we would have beans coming out of our ears.  And here we were, at the end of July, with no beans.  About a week ago we were in the garden, picking tomatoes, deciding if it was time to rip up some of our crops that were on their way out, and plotting on other crop endeavors.  Andrew decided to take a look at the beans, and low and behold we had beans.  Our bean bushes were not even worthy to be called a bush.  More like little tw

One Bad Day

I thought I would take a minute to help explain a part of the homesteading life that seems to throw people off. Let me first say that we hate killing our animals. But ultimately, there comes a day when we prep and plan to do just that. The animals we have on our property have a purpose. The dogs help alert if there are predators after our critters. The chickens produce eggs and meat for the freezer. We also raise rabbits. We have a few that we keep for breeding purposes but their offspring will eventually be harvested. On “killing day” our anxiety is usually high, hoping that everything dies as humanely as possible. Again, we don’t enjoy killing these animals that we have raised since birth. At the same time, we’re not just raising pets. We are raising animals that will help sustain us. All of this was new to me until a couple of years ago. I didn’t know how I would handle the slaughtering of our livestock. But I knew that if I wanted to live a life of self-reliance, I would have

Total Eclipse of "MY" Heart

This total solar eclipse business has, quite frankly, been driving me insane.  If I have to hear, "Do you have any Solar Eclipse glasses?" one more time, I might lose my nuts & bolts.  I'm kidding, of course.  I have enjoyed seeing all of the "out-of-towners" come visit our "Friendly City" today and hope they have enjoyed our small community.  It is amusing to me to see that so many people have traveled from near and far to view this once in a life time event.  Of all places, for Scottsville, KY to be a stopping grounds for "totality" makes me feel very fortunate.  Had this happen elsewhere, you wouldn't see me traveling for hours and hours just to witness the eclipse.  I love that I can step right outside the library doors and take in what is happening above.  And I do feel privileged that I can direct those who want to view the eclipse and make them feel at home for the short time that they are here in our small town. As I experie